In an attempt to create a super allergen-friendly, good-for-you, and easy-to-make treat, one of our staff members conjured up this awesome recipe! She writes:
“My house is typically dairy-free, and we also try to minimize gluten, so we’re used to dining with dietary restrictions. I wanted to create a dessert that was both ‘safe’ and delicious, and this superfood truffle was born! I was heavily inspired by the work of Christina Ross, a raw food chef and author out of California, whose book Love Fed is an excellent resource for any family. Feel free to modify this recipe with items already stocked in your pantry—coconut oil, chopped nuts, sunflower seeds, goji berries, cranberries, honey, mint extract, etc.—to make this easy dessert your own.”
This recipe features cacao butter and powder, the minimally-processed, antioxidant- and mineral-rich form of cocoa, quinoa, a hypoallergenic ancient grain high in protein, and coconut sugar, a sweetener with a low glycemic index and caramel-like flavor. We hope you savor the rich flavors of this treat, in addition to its incredible health benefits!
- 1/2 cup organic quinoa
- 1 cup organic cacao butter, melted
- 1 cup organic cacao powder
- 1/4 cup organic coconut sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- Rinse and dry the quinoa, then toast in a frying pan over high heat until it “puffs” (or begins crackling and browns slightly), stirring frequently, approximately 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt cacao butter over medium flame, and stir in vanilla extract. Remove from heat.
- Combine cacao powder, coconut sugar, salt, and puffed quinoa in glass or ceramic bowl and pour melted cacao butter/vanilla mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring to combine.
- Slowly pour the warm chocolate into molds, or spread across parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Use remaining coconut sugar to lightly dust the truffles.
- Cool in the refrigerator for at least twenty minutes, and either remove from molds or break up into medium-sized chunks when cool and firm.
- Refrigerate truffles until just before serving for best results.
Happy, healthy eating!