Save the Seeds!
Did you know that your squash seeds are packed with nutrients like vitamin A and C and minerals like calcium, zinc and iron! No need to throw them out; save them, roast them and eat them!
Here is a quick version Dr. Burkman likes to do! Can be done for any squash seeds, for this illustration butternut squash was used.
- Cut the squash open – honestly this is the hardest part!
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees
- Scoop out the seeds from the squash into a bowl
- Rinse the seeds in a strainer getting the “goop” off
- Pat dry on a towel and put back into a dry bowl
- Mix with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sea salt to taste- can add other seasonings too!
- Place on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper- spaced out as evenly as possible
- Bake for 15 min or until seeds start to look toasty
- Cool and enjoy! I like to use them as a garnish on the soup I make from the squash! Or add to a salad for a crunch!