Not Just Another New Year Detox Program
Around the same time each year, folks start to come into the clinic asking about detox programs and liver support diets. It’s no surprise really; for many it’s been a long stretch over overindulgent eating and festive imbibing. At some point, we all start to feel the effects of eating and drinking too much of a good thing. Luckily, getting back on track doesn’t have to look like one of those overpriced celebrity-endorsed life-overwhelming prefab programs. Consciously shifting to a whole food plant-focused diet rich in colorful vegetables and fruits, along with limiting liquids to lots of water, can go a long way in improving overall health. Add some regular moderate physical exercise, and you are guaranteed to feel a whole lot better in short order.
For those that are interested in a little extra kick start to health in the new year, incorporate this nutritious (and delicious!) soup into your life for a while. Each ingredient is chosen for its liver supportive, detoxifying effect. There are many “greens replacement” powders & drinks out there, but nothing will ever be as nourishing and healthful as the real thing. Empower yourself to use food as medicine every day. Here’s to health in the new year!
Dr. Fasullo’s Green Power Detox Soup
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch kale or chard
- 1 medium zucchini
- 5 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 medium burdock root
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp dried cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Chop/dice all vegetables, garlic, ginger, and rosemary
- Place in large pot with 3 cups of filtered water
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer until soft, about 15 min, stirring regularly
- Add turmeric, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper while simmering
- When fully cooked, strain vegetables, SAVING THE LIQUID.
- Place vegetables into blender, slowly adding JUST ENOUGH liquid to blend *
- After fully incorporated, while still blending, SLOWLY add olive oil
- Continue blending for one minute to fully emulsify
- You may drink remaining liquid as a potent medicinal tea
* You may need to do the blending in batches. If so, you can add the oil at any time, and combine batches together with a whisk to fully incorporate.
Makes ∼ 2 quarts of soup. Can be reheated by simmering on stove with a bit of added water.